Information for Public & Practitioners

What can I do if I am not happy with a private health care service I have received?

If you are not happy with any aspect of health care treatment you have received in the private sector, you should first try to speak to the practitioner concerned or the manager of the facility. Explain what happened and why you are not satisfied.

Many complaints can be resolved directly by practitioners and facilities if concerns are raised promptly, and if both parties listen to each other and communicate openly and respectfully.

If the explanation or action taken at the local level does not resolve the problem to your satisfaction,you can make a complaint to Fitness to Practice Department, through GHCC: ​​​Medical Complaints System​

Taking into consideration that, submitting a complaint to FTP/ QCHP / MOPH is considered as an official delegation for the department to obtain a copy of patient\s file and access all relevant information related to his/her health and condition , and also to communicate with all healthcare facilities where the patient received treatment.

What kinds of complaints does the Department deal with?

The Department deals with complaints about the professional conduct, competence or fitness to practice of health practitioners.

Complaints about health practitioners vary widely and could include:


  • Wrong, delayed or missed diagnosis, procedures and treatments
  • Inadequate examination or assessment
  • Prescribing
  • Treatment outcome
  • Treatment plan


  • Consent, including provision of services without consent (as per Informed Consent Policy/MOPH)
  • Access to medical records
  • Breaching of patient’s confidentiality & privacy
  • Practitioner’s behaviour including practitioner’s refusal to see patient, sexual misconduct, discrimination or bias and other inappropriate conduct

You might also raise your concerns in the following cases:

  • If you suspect that someone is practicing without license or out of scope.
  • Practitioner’s physical or mental health which could affect their practice (unsafe practices).

Note: The Department cannot award compensation or order a practitioner/facility to refund fees, you can raise it to the concerned authorities.​

How do I make a complaint?

You can make your complaint to the Fitness to Practice Team at QCHP through the Governmental Health Communication Center , which is the concerned authority for receiving complaints and then send it to FTP department as it’s the investigating authority : ​​​Medical Complaints System​

What information should I include in my complaint?

The department will communicate with the complainant to request more information /details, to start the process of investigation, which may include the following:

  • Patient name and contact details registered in the facility and the E-mail address.
  • In case of submitting a complaint on behalf of a patient, the complainant name and contact details should be provided along with an official delegation from the patient authorizing the complainant to file a complaint on his/her behalf and to follow up with the department and to receive the outcomes of the investigation once finalized.
  • Names of both the practitioner and the facility
  • Date/s of incident
  • Type of treatment received
  • Details of what happened and the particular issues you are concerned about
  • Names of any other healthcare practitioners have been consulted inside or outside the facility
  • Copies of any documents you have related to the complaints, such as medical records/reports, test results or correspondence
How the department will manage the officially submitted complaint?​

The Fitness to Practice Department will initially assess your complaint to decide if it’s within the scope of the department or not, if so, the department will do the following:

  • Gathering copies of medical records and reports/patient medical file
  • Ask for an explanation and reports from all treating practitioners
  • Invite other practitioners’ response whose names are mentioned in your complaint (if any)
  • Obtain a report from independent experts after examining patient (if required)
  • Present all the related documents to Permanent Licensing Committee (PLC) to take appropriate sanctions.
  • Inform practitioner and complainant about the outcomes.
What can FTP do?

If there is any evidence of malpractice / medical error, the department will take the necessary actions/sanctions through PLC, depending on the severity of the case. The sanctions may include:

  • Advise, admonish or a written or verbal warning.
  • Attach conditions to a practitioners 's registration.
  • Practitioners will be requested to improve their knowledge/skills.
  • Re-evaluate the practitioner privileges.
  • Change scope of practitioner’s practice.
  • Auditing practitioner performance/ facility, to monitor their compliance with rules and regulations.
  • Suspend a practitioner's registration for a specified period.
  • A partial/whole closure of facility for a specified period.
  • Assess practitioner’s competence and/or health.
  • Cancel /revoke a practitioner’s / facility’s license.
  • Refer anyone found practicing without a license to the public prosecutor.
  • Black listing practitioner’s names and circulating their names among Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) though the concerned department within QCHP.
  • Some complaints may be closed without taking any actions when no evidence of medical error, misconduct, mismanagement or negligence is found.
The right to appeal

If FTP/ QCHP decides to impose any of the above sanctions, except for advice, admonishment and verbal warning, there is a right of appeal against the decision to HE The Minister of Public Health within 30 days from receiving the notice.

Sharing Information

FTP/QCHP reserves the right to share fitness to practise information or findings with any other competent authorities internationally.

​ ​